About Lincoln Town Car
From 1981 to 2011, Lincoln sold the Town Car, named after Lincoln's former flagship, the Continental. The Lincoln Town Car was Ford Motor Company's flagship model. It was produced in three generations over 30 years. In the 1920s, the Lincoln Town Car body was often used as a limousine. The name came from the horse-drawn carriage. It had an open cab and a fixed roof for passengers. At that time, a horse-drawn carriage with a fixed roof at the rear was called a limousine. The term "de Ville" means "about town" in French. In 1922, Edsel Ford bought from his father a Lincoln L-series town car, specially designed for personal use. Subsequently, Cadillac. It was the main competitor to the Lincoln Continental from the 1950s to the 1990s. It used the model designation "Limousine de Ville."
All other Continental models had an inverted roofline instead of the Lincoln Town Car's inverted roofline. It also had a padded vinyl roof and an integrated rear window. In addition to a slightly softer design, the change in the roofline also had functional significance. The rear seats were moved without changing the wheelbase to increase rear legroom. In the following years, Imperial and Cadillac redesigned the roofs of their models to give them a more ceremonial limousine look. It is one of the rarest cars produced by the Ford Motor Company. Between 1959 and 1960, 214 town cars and 83 limousines were produced. All were painted black. In 1980, Lincoln became the last American marque to produce a full-size small car. After the redesign, the Lincoln Continental was no longer the largest sedan in North America. The Continental city car returned to Lincoln's lineup as the top model.
oem Lincoln Town Car parts online
The Mark VI chassis and most of the bodywork was shared with Continental to reduce design and production costs. However, Lincoln reduced the number of models, the combination of the Lincoln Town Car. And Mark VI proved to be a commercial disaster. The unsold Lincoln Versailles was retired in the early 1980s. Lincoln-Mercury dealers offered three similar cars at different prices in the same showroom. After Versailles was retired, Lincoln also returned to the large sedan segment. And it had nothing to sell compared to the luxury cars of the European brands. In 1981, the Lincoln Town Car was introduced, combining the Lincoln Town Car models into a single Mark VI model. Like the 1980 Lincoln Continental, the Lincoln Town Car was available as a two- or four-door limousine.
Although the Town Car remained Lincoln's best-selling model, sales declined each year between 1986 and 1989. This decline was primarily due to outdated styling and the growing popularity of the Continental. It was redesigned in 1988. From 1980 to 1989, Lincoln used the Continental/Town Car Panther platform, which Ford and Mercury shared. The Panther chassis, whose introduction was delayed until 1980 due to technical problems, meant radically different exterior dimensions for Lincoln models. The V8 CID engine was offered as an option. When the Lincoln Town Car was introduced in 1981, the only engine available was a V8. In Canada, the 302 remained a carbureted V8 until 1985. In 1986, the power output of the V8 engine increased to 150 hp when the fuel injection system was revised. And multiple sequential injections were introduced. It was introduced on the Lincoln Continental in 1980 and on all Panther chassis cars in 1981. The Lincoln Town Car was equipped with a four-speed AOD automatic transmission.